travels with terry

Friday, March 10, 2006

Only two days!


Yes it's only two days since I left Dunedin - but so much seems to have been packed into it. Well, only the last 24 hours was interesting, since Wednesday was almost entirely taken up with sitting on planes - for 15 hours in fact. I arrived in Chennai late at night, into a dream-like scene of heat, humidity and humanity; quite a lot of each. Ravi the taxi driver was waiting for me as arranged, and his ancient Mercedes swung, tooted and rattled its way through the packed streets (3 wheelers, more taxis, motorcycles, scooters, bicycles, pedal rickshaws, bullock carts, trucks, buses, people walking all over the road, people asleep on the roadside) ... all with no obvious rules, no obvious delays, and apparent goodwill!
Somehow we arrived at the Radha Park Hotel, supposedly only 3 stars, but very grand and excellent air conditioning, along with an endless supply of cold Kingfisher beer, thank heavens. Fell asleep exhausted and had breakfast late, then spent the morning assembling a Movie Maker montage of pictures from the Polytechnic prospectus. Picked up just after lunch and taken to TANUVAS - Tamil Nadu University of Veterinary and Animal Science - where I spent a fascinating afternoon talking with Dr. Balakrishnan (prof of Animal Nutrition) and Dr. Balasubraniam (from the Commonwealth of Learning) about the work that is being done there largely funded by CoL. Both organisations have extensive experience in flexible delivery for continuing education of vets, training of paraveterinarians, and Lifelong Learning (L3 as they call it) for farmers. On Sunday I will be taking a 7 hour train trip to a rural community which is involved in this programme, and staying there for a couple of days.
Its ten o'clock now and I have just returned from an excursion with Ravi (he's from Kerala, I'm from Dagenham, and we converse as best we can) to the beach. An eerie experience at night, walking over the wide (about 500 metres), fairly clean stretch of sand where the tsunami wrecked boats and flung people about almost up to the main road. Also visited the impressive St. Thomas' Cathedral. There are some (not very good) pics here... I'll probably do better when I get over my fascination with Indian women in saris on motorbikes. I have to say that I think this country and its people are just wonderful. I'll keep you posted!
Cheers, Terry

7 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Blogger Leigh Blackall said...

Great Terry! More pictures! FYI, you can posta picture, then cut past it to a better location in your blog. By default, everytime to load and place a new picture it will place it at the top. If you already have a picture at the top and have not moved it to a better location, it may over write it.

Interesting to note CoL. I wonder if NewZealnd has had much of a role in that, and if it could be a way to approach management with ideas of Open Courseware for resource collaboration around the Common-wealth.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Leigh Blackall said...

BTW, can you turn the date marker off on that camera?

 
At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terry
you are fairly racing around the place. The environs look hazy in the pic...must be the heat.

Have you organised a dhoti yet? Tony is only bringing "one pair of undies wrapped in a bandana"...so may need extra clothing.

He was down here just now wondering why you haven't updated your blog for several days....we hadn't the heart to tell him rural India probably doesn't have cyber cafes.

he screamed when we suggested he set up his own blog...he's planning to gatecrash yours.
Bron

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Terry Marler said...

Tell him not to worry about the banana - there are plenty here.
T

 
At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff Terry !

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Terry

Hope the other half of the trio has arrived safely. Go well, I can only visualise some of the antics you 2 will get up to thankfully!!
Kerrie

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is he there yet!!! You know the one... Is he there yet????

 

Post a Comment

<< Home